Thursday 7 July 2011

The 12 Caliphs / Imams of Islam

There are many hadiths in Sunni Sihah Sitta which say that there will be twelve caliphs of Prophet Muhammad SAW. Of course Wahabis/Salafis/Nasibis cannot follow Ahl-ul-bait . Therefore they will not agree with me that these hadith are related to 12 infallible Imams. My object of posting this topic is to ask my Sunni brothers and Nasibi/Wahabi/Salafi enemies (enemies of truth as well) who are those 12 caliphs on their side.

I shall first post the hadiths with links then i shall tell who are the twelve caliphs / infallible imams.

Sanan Abi Daud Book 31, Number 4266:
Narrated Jabir ibn Samurah:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The religion will continue to be established till there are twelve caliphs over you, and the whole community will agree on each of them. I then heard from the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) some remarks which I could not understand. I asked my father: What is he saying: He said: all of them will belong to Quraysh.

The link is given here


Sahih Muslim also has such reports

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4477:
It has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said: I joined the company of the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) with my father and I heard him say: This Caliphate will not end until there have been twelve Caliphs among them. The narrator said: Then he (the Holy Prophet) said something that I could not follow. I said to my father: What did he say? He said: He has said: All of them will be from the Quraish.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4478:
It has been reported on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: The affairs of the people will continue to be conducted (well) as long as they are governed by twelve men. Then the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) said words which were obscure to me. I asked my father: What did the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say? He said: All of the (twelve men) will be from the Quraish.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4479:
This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura through another chain of transmitters.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4480:
It has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say: Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs. Then the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) said something which I could not understand. I asked my father: What did he say? He said: He has said that all of them (twelve Caliphs) will be from the Quraish.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4481:
It has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura that the Holy Prophet (may peace be upon him) said: This order will continue to be dominant until there have been twelve Caliphs. The narrator says: Then he said something which I could not understand, and I said to my father: What did he say? My father told me that he said that all of them (Caliphs) would be from the Quraish.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4482:
It has been reported on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said: I went with my father to the Messenger of Allah (may peeace be upon him) and I heard him say: This religion would continue to remain powerful and dominant until there have been twelve Caliphs. Then he added something which I couldn't catch on account of the noise of the people. I asked my father: What did he say? My father said: He has said that all of them will be from the Quraish.

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4483:
It has been narrated on the authority of Amir b. Sa'd b. Abu Waqqas who said: I wrote (a letter) to Jabir b. Samura and sent it to him through my servant Nafi', asking him to inform me of something he had heard from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him). He wrote to me (in reply): I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say on Friday evening, the day on which al-Aslami was stoned to death (for committing adultery): The Islamic religion will continue until the Hour has been established, or you have been ruled over by twelve Caliphs, all of them being from the Quraish. also heard him say: A small force of the Muslims will capture the white palace, the police of the Persian Emperor or his descendants. I also heard him say: Before the Day of Judgment there will appear (a number of) impostors. You are to guard against them. I also heard him say: When God grants wealth to any one of you, he should first spend it on himself and his family (and then give it in charity to the poor). I heard him (also) say: I will be your forerunner at the Cistern (expecting your arrival).

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4484:
Ibn Samura al-'Adawi reported: I heard Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) say, and he then narrated (the above-mentioned hadith).

The link is given here


Sahih Bukhari also talks about 12 Caliphs

Narrated Jabir bin Samura:

I heard the Prophet saying, "There will be twelve Muslim rulers (who will rule all the Islamic world)." He then said a sentence which I did not hear. My father said, "All of them (those rulers) will be from Quraish."

The link is given here

This is the list of the 12 Caliphs / Imams

1. Caliph Abu Bakar RA
2. Caliph Umar RA
3. Caliph Uthman RA
4. Caliph Ali RA
5. Caliph Muawiyah
6. Caliph Yazid
7. Caliph Abdul Malik Ibnu Marwan
8. Caliph Sulaiman Ibnu Malik
9. Caliph Umar Ibnu Aziz
10. Caliph Harun Al-Rasyid
11. Caliph Makmun Al-Rasyid
12. Imam Mahdi


No comments:

Post a Comment