Tuesday 21 June 2011

The 5 Categories of Health

When we talk about the wellbeing of human, we can categorize our health into 5 categories as follows:

  1. Physical health
  2. Mental health
  3. Emotional health
  4. Spiritual health
  5. Social health

Physical health is the physical aspect of our body for example our muscle strength, our stamina, our blood sugar level our blood pressure level etc. You take care of your physical body by meeting the physical needs of your body such as food, sleep, water, etc.
Mental health is the condition of your mental state. Examples of mental health is your cognitive function i.e the ability to manage things, ability to remember, your maturity level, your intellectual level etc. You take care of your mental health by training and using your brain on a frequent basis for example to study, to plan and implement a project, to work.
Emotional health is the condition of your emotional state, whether you are happy, sad, angry, moody etc. You are not emotionally healthy when you cannot easily control your emotion, for example when you get angry easily, when you get sad easily etc.
Spiritual health is your relationship with God. As human, we will always need God’s guidance to go through life. Only when we submit ourselves to God that we will feel at ease and relaxed. It can be measured by how many prayers you perform every day, your remembrance of God etc.
      Social health is about your relationship with other people. We share this world with other people and we cannot live in this world just by ourselves. How we treat and interact with other people will determine our social health.
Even though in any one day we might not be able to focus on all 5 categories of our health, the idea is that over a long period of time, we should focus on all 5 aspects of our health to be a completely healthy person. Neglecting even one category of our health above could jeopardize the other health categories. For example, if you are under a lot of stress, it could affect your mental and emotional health. Prolonged stress could lead to depression which will affect your mental, emotional and even physical health as well.

The Indicator of Health


After knowing the 5 categories of health, the next step is to monitor your health so that by the general rule of health, when things are too much you need to reduce it and when things are too little you need to increase it. In order to monitor your health effectively you need feedback. In his book “The Success Principles”, Jack Canfield explained how to use feedback, whether positive or negative to your advantage. Feedback could come in many forms, it might come verbally from a friend, it might come unexpectedly through a medical checkup, or it could even be an indicator from a machine. Whether you like it or not, you need feedback to monitor the status of your health. To make the process of getting feedback easier, I have list down the questions that you should answer and mark yourself so that you will know the status of your overall health.

Feedback Questionnaire


Please answer the feedback questionnaire below honestly and give marks on the scale of 1 to 5. I being the worst and 5 being the best.

Physical Health
1.      What is you BMI? Calculate from  .
Males
  • Underweight: less than 20 (<20)  - 4 point
  • Ideal: greater than or equal to 20 but less than 25 (≥20 but <25)  - 5 point
  • Overweight: greater than or equal to 25 but less than 30 (≥25 but <30)  - 2/3 point
  • Obese: greater than or equal to 30 (≥30)  - 1 point

Females
  • Underweight: less than 18 (<18) - 4 point
  • Ideal: greater than or equal to 18 but less than 25 (≥18 but <25)  - 5 point
  • Overweight: greater than or equal to 25 but less than 30 (≥25 but <30) - 2/3 point
Obese: greater than or equal to 30 (≥30) – 1 point

2.      How frequent do you exercise?
  • 2-3 times per week – 5 point
  • 1-2 times per week – 4 point
  • Once a week – 3 point
  • Once a month – 2 point
  • Once a year – 1 point

3.      Do you eat a lot of nutritious foods such as vegetables, fruits and avoid junkfoods such as carbonated drinks and foods with MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)?
  • I eat a lot of vegetables and never take any junkfood – 5 point
  • I eat a lot of vegetables and some junkfood – 4 point
  • I eat some vegetables and I eat some junkfood – 3 point
  • I don’t eat vegetables and I eat junkfood – 2 point
  • I eat a lot of junkfood – 1 point

4.      What is you blood pressure?
  • Close to 120/80 mm Hg – 5 point
  • Close to 120/80 ± 10 mm Hg – 4 point
  • Close to 120/80 ± 20 mm Hg – 3 point
  • Close to 120/80 ± 30 mm Hg – 2 point
  • Close to 120/80 ± 40 mm Hg – 1 point

5.      What is you blood sugar level?
  • Close to 4-6 mmol/L – 5 point
  • Close to 4-6 ± 2 mmol/L – 4 point
  • Close to 4-6 ± 4 mmol/L – 3 point
  • Close to 4-6 ± 6 mmol/L – 2 point
  • Close to 4-6 ± 8 mmol/L – 1 point

Give answers to the questions above and write your average point here:

Mental Health

1.      Are you currently in an environment where you are constantly using your intellect such as a student or working in a company?
  • I am a student/worker and I am actively studying/working at my full intellect potential – 5 point
  • I am a student/worker and I am actively studying/working at half my intellect potential – 4 point
  • I am not a student/worker but I constantly engage my intellect in challenging activities – 3 point
  • I am not a student/worker and I only use half of my intellect potentials in daily activities – 2 point
  • I am not a student/worker and I am not bothered to use my intellect potential – 1 point

2.      Do you rely on your memory for important things or rely on notes and memo?
  • I rely on my memory for important things and rely on notes/memos for trivial things – 5 point
  • I rely on my memory sometimes for important things – 4 point
  • My notes/memo is more important than my memory – 3 point
  • I seldom rely on my memory – 2 point
  • I always rely on my notes/memo – 1 point

3.      Are you able to manage your working life and your personal life together?
  • Both my working life and my personal life are excellent – 5 point
  • My working life is excellent but my personal life is unmanageable – 3/4 point
  • My personal life is excellent but my working life is unmanageable – 3/4 point
  • Both my working and personal life is unmanageable – 2 point
  • I have neither working nor personal life – 1 point

4.      Do you read books on regular basis and are interested in the general events around the world?
  • I read books during my free time and I am very interested in the general events around the world – 5 point
  • I sometimes read books and I sometimes watch news – 4 point
  • I don’t like books but like to watch news – 3 point
  • I like books but don’t like news – 2 point
  • I don’t like books and news -1 point

5.      Do you consider yourself a matured person relative to your age?
  • I am an adult and I consider myself a matured person – 5 point
  • I am an adult and I sometimes act like a child – 3/4 point
  • I am an adult and I always act like a child – 1/2 point

Give answers to the questions above and write your average point here:

Emotional Health

1.      Do you get angry easily?
  • I only get angry at the right time and place – 5 point
  • I sometimes get angry at little things – 4 point
  • I get angry everyday – 3 point
  • I get angry many times in a day – 2 point
  • I am always angry – 1 point

2.      Are you a sad person?
  • I only get sad at the right time and place – 5 point
  • I sometimes get sad at little things – 4 point
  • I get sad everyday – 3 point
  • I get sad many times in a day – 2 point
  • I am always sad – 1 point

3.      Are you in stress?
  • I am a little stressed when working to achieve my goal – 5 point
  • I am a lot stressed when working to achieve my goal – 4 point
  • I am stressed a lot every day – 3 point
  • I am stressed to the point of being depressed – 2 point
  • I am depressed – 1 point

4.      Are you happy?
  • I am very happy with my life right now – 5 point
  • I am moderately happy with my life right now – 4 point
  • I am not so happy with my life right now – 3 point
  • I am not happy at all with my life right now- 2 point
  • I want to commit suicide -1 point

5.      Do you show your emotion easily?
  • Yes, at the right time and place – 5 point
  • Sometimes – 4 point
  • Moderately – 2/3 point
  • All the time/never – 1 point

Give answers to the questions above and write your average point here:

Spiritual health

1.      Do you feel that God is taking care of you and provide you guidance?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • I feel some distance with God – 4 point
  • God is far from me – 2/3 point
  • God has abandoned me – 1 point

2.      Do you pray everyday/ according to your religion?
  • Yes, I never missed my prayer – 5 point
  • I sometimes missed my prayer – 4 point
  • I missed my prayer a lot of the time -3 point
  • I missed my prayer all the time -2 point
  • I am not bothered to pray – 1 point

3.      Do you try to get closer to God?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

4.      Do you have tranquility in life due to association with God?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

5.      Do you submit to God?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

Give answers to the questions above and write your average point here:



Social Health

1.      Do you like people?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

2.      Do you have many friends?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

3.      Are you lonely?
  • No – 5 point
  • Maybe – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Well, sometimes – 2 point
  • Yes – 1 point

4.   If you are an adult, are you considering marriage?
  • Yes – 5 point
  • Well, sometimes – 4 point
  • Not really – 3 point
  • Maybe – 2 point
  • Never – 1 point

5.   How do you rate your relationship with your family and friends?
  • Excellent – 5 point
  • Ok – 4 point
  • Average – 3 point
  • Not so good – 2 point
  • Bad – 1 point

Give answers to the questions above and write your average point here:

After you have all the marks, then draw yourself a flower with 5 petals, each petal will represent the 5 different types of health: Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual and Social. Then colour each petal with different toning according to the point that you receive, darker colour for higher point. Finally, you can draw a happy face or a sad face inside the flower depending on your overall result. I call this visual representation of your points as the ‘Flower of Health’ or ‘Feal’.

By giving feedback on yourself on regular basis, for example weekly / monthly and looking at the Feal, you will know in what area of health that you need to work on to bring yourself back to a healthy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment